SEO is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in search engine results pages (SERPs) by increasing its ranking score. This means that if your site or page ranks higher, it will be more visible and easier for potential customers to find it.
The first question we get asked by our Shopify customers is –
“Is Shopify Good for SEO?”
The reason we get asked this is because traditionally WordPress was the best option for SEO because you could control a lot more and create unique cotntent easily. WordPress also has a very good url structure that is not quite as rigid as Shopify. However as Shopify has grown it has got better at SEO and if you want a good reason then look no further than Shopify’s connection to Google.
Shopify is a direct competitor to Amazon in the same way that Amazon is a direct competitor to Google. You may not have thought about this but Google Cloud competes with AWS to provide hosting solutions to websites and more. It is a massive part of their businesses, especially AWS. Shopify is a providing an alternative marketplace of sorts to over 1.7 million businesses which means Google likes to help Shopify. Not forgetting of course, because of this Shopify is hosted on GOogle Cloud which means they have to help each other out. You can find out more about how in bed Shopify are with Google here:
We have come up with 11 steps to help you improve your SEO using Shopify. It starts with detailed customer and keyword research before you can come up with a comprehensive plan to create content aimed at helping your customers and improving product pages to give them a better experience than they will find elsewhere.
11 Steps to improving your Shopify Stores SEO
- Keyword Research using search console or ads manager to identify what is working.
- Research your customer and find out what their needs and wants are.
- Create content that matches your keyword research, use the blog functionality on Shopify.
- Optimise your images and video for speed, use photoshop save for web or an app like crush.pics
- Remove unused apps.
- Get rid of unnessecary code that may be slowing your website down.
- Generate Unique Product descriptions focused on the customer, do not copy paste the suppliers ones.
- Use alt tags on images to describe what they are.
- Ensure your structured data is up to date and working by checking Google Search Console.
- Collect reviews using an app like Yotpo or Google Reviews.
- Add your sitemap to Google Search Console
In our blog we have talked a lot about Google Search Console and have mentioned it here. It is a very useful free tool that lets you know how well you perform for keywords and the performance of your website in terms of speed and user experience. This for us is the number 1 pillar of SEO with Shopify. Why not call us today for a Search Console Training session with one of the team so you can better understand where you are going right and wrong with your Shopify website.